Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Blood vessels start fluttering sometimes

Discern - Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:23 pm

I don't know where to post this.

I've had a recurring peculiar problem with my blood vessels. All of a sudden they'll start fluttering. Not a prolonged time, just one quick flutter—I can feel the blood going through, I can feel the vessel tube quickly shudder. It happens repetitively and intermittently.

One vessel or a bunch together, and often in several places. Most often: in my left eye; in the upper middle part of my legs; underneath the left ear. Can also be in my foot, arm, or cheek. The quick fluttering in the vessels extends from a quarter of an inch, up to about six inches in the big vessels in my leg. If I hold my hand firmly on the place where the vessel is thumping, sometimes it stop, but it will cause other vessels to start up!

They happen with the heart-beat, but not every beat. It can often be physically felt on the skin and seen by a depression. It is intensified by stress and stressful situations. Extended rigorous exercise can cause it. Caffeine doesn't effect the symptoms. It feels like something I read where the blood might be backed up and then bursts through the vessel, so I tried taking nattokinase for a while, with not much results. Also tried pomegranate juice, which actually helps.

The symptoms are painless, but very annoying. Once they start acting up, they usually keep going for quite some time, even if I'm not doing much. Lasts from a moment, to a few hours, to as much as continuing for three days. These symptoms will go away altogether for extended periods of time, even weeks.

Been happening for 10 years; I'm 29 now and slightly overweight. My blood pressure has always been normal and my pulse is 55.

===>> Why do I think these are not muscle or nerve spasms?

Because I have had both muscle and nerve spasms so I know the difference. And because I can just feel that they are blood vessels, kind of hard to describe.

I'd be interested if you've heard of any conditions that could involve these symptoms or just anything you can connect them to. Or of course you can give the standard answer if you don't know what the heck this stuff is!

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:40 pm

User avatar Hi Discern,

I hate to give you the answer "I don't know what this is" but that is about the best I can confidently say.

It may be that the smooth muscles that line the veins are quivering a bit.

Also, sometimes with low calcium levels similar symptoms can occur.

You may actually be experiencing a muscle tremor rather than an actual cramp. This can give a vibrating type of feeling.

I'm not exactly sure who would best be able to help you. My best thought would be to see a neurologist. Your primary doctor can also test your calcium level to make sure it is OK.

Sorry I can't give you much more. I hope you are able to find out what the cause is. If you do please update us.

|