Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Headache, irregular tightness in chest

Buffaloed in Boulder - Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:23 am

I am a 49 year old female. I am experiencing waves of chest pain and headaches. When the pain comes it is very intense. After it peaks it will become uncomfortable, but not painful. It does seem to be worse when I lay down. I don't have a burning sensation, and the pain doesn't seem to radiate down my arm or in my jaw. I have taken antacid tablets and gas tablets which offer a little relief for a little while. I do have high cholesterol and a history of heart disease in my family. This condition has occured once or twice a year for the past 16 years. I have gone to several g.p. doctors and a cardiologist for testing but nothing seems to show up. My question is: Is there something else I can do to relieve the symptoms or should I once again see another doctor? Thank you so much for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:08 pm

User avatar Hi Buffaloed in Boulder,

Your symptoms make me very suspicious of acid reflux causing the problem. It classically can cause chest pain. Having the antacid help some adds to this diagnosis.

You may need a more preventative style medicine or a stronger antacid. I would recommend you discuss your symptoms with your doctor and see about a trial of an anti-reflux medicine.

|