Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Valve Regurgitation

Doris - Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:15 am

:( I need help on reading my ECHO from my dr, I have Mitral regurgitation of 42%, Aortic regurgitation of 36%, enlarged left atrium measuring 5.46cm (apical 4ch view). Jet area of Mitral regurgitation of 5.98cm2. Left Atrial area is 14.3cm2. Aortic jet area of .70cm. LVOT diameter is 1.95cm. AI% is 36%, Pulmonary Pressure is 36mmHg. RESTING 2D/M-Mode...LV Diam Dias 4.45cm.. LV Diam Sys 2.51cm...LV Fraction Shortening 44%..LVEF 65%...LV Septum .88cm...LV Post Wall .94cm..LA Size-4ch 5.46cm...LA Plax 3.64cm.. AO Root Size 2.38cm... In the conclustion box, he states. LEFT VENTRICLE WITHOUT DILATATION OF HYPERTROPHY, :shock: What does that mean WITHOUT DILATATION OF HYPERTROPHY?... Can you please explain what this all means. I don't think it looks to good. :cry: :cry: :( ( I need help in understanding the abbrev/terms. :cry: :cry: Thank you
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:51 am

User avatar Dear Doris,

It looks that you have mitral and aortic valves regurgitation.

Valves are basically one way doors. They have to open to pass the blood and then close so that the blood does not go back (regurgitates) in the direction it should not.

Your valves are leaking blood and the blood is giong the wrong way.

The effect that this has on the heart varies from patient to patient depending on the cause of the regurgitation, the severity of the regurgitation and the underlying co-morbid conditions that the patient has.

In your case:

1. The left atrium is dilated (bigger than normal), which has the hazard of blood being stagnant and a blood developping in the left atrium. Also, an abnormal heart rhythm may arise.

2. The left ventricle is normal. The left ventricle is the main chamber of the heart. It is the chamber that pumps the blood to all the organs of the body. It is not bigger than normal. The thickness of its wall is normal. This is what the expression without hypertrophy or dilatation implies. And this is what the abbreviations lv diam dias 4.45 cm and lv diam sys 2.51 cm mean as well. They stand for left ventricle diameter in diastole and left ventricle diameter in systole and these measurements are normal.

3. Fractioning shortening and ejection fraction are measures of how well the left ventricle pumps and in your case, both are normal.

If you are not seeing a cardiologist, i think it is time that you start seeing one, specially if you have new symptoms like shortness of breath when you exercise.

You have to be evaluated and followed up by a cardiologist who along the years and according to the progress of your regurgitation and overall symptoms, will decide if and when the valves need to be changed surgically.

|