News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: misdiagnosis of stabbing pains?

hippocratic - Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:18 pm

Hello I'm a 26 y/o male, exercise regularly and do not smoke. I'll be honest..I'm a casual cocaine user.
I hadn't used it in the days leading up to my trip to the ER yesterday. I experienced a stabbing pain "inside" my chest, right in the heart. The EKG, X-Rays, and blood test including cardiac markers all came back A-OK. But the pain remains.

Is this myocarditis? Will the anti inflammatories my Doctor prescribed, as well as a cessation of all cocaine use, remedy me? Or do I need anti biotics?

Appreciate any help. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:44 pm

User avatar Hi Hippocratic,

Typically heart pain is not a cause of sharp, stabbing pain. This is more likely to be due to pleurisy or possibly costochondritis. Also, myocarditis would be expected to show some abnormal results during your cardiac work up.

The anti-inflammatories will treat pleurisy and costochondritis. If your pain persists I would recommend you follow up with your doctor for reevaluation.

Best wishes.
 hippocratic - Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:04 am

Thanks so much Dr. Lowe!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here