Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: 8 beat run of PVCs

tomah - Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:45 pm

I am a 55 y/o female - somewhat overweight - don't drink. I have suffered from PAC/PVCs for 20 some years. Had an event monitor 6 years ago that showd 3 beat run of idoventricular rhythm, 3 beat run of v tach with an average rate of 130 BPM along with sinus rhythm and frequent PAC and short runs of ectopic atrial thythm. Symptoms correlated with both supraventricular and ventricular arrhythmias. I have been managed with 50mg of Toprol XL, mevacor for cholesterol and 81 mg of aspirin, although I do get skipped beats almost everyday (sometimes 1 or 2 - sometimes many more). I have always been told not to worry about these, that they are not life threatening. I just had an event monitor again, and the cardiologists office called and said I had some strips that showed a couple of 8 beat runs of PVCs. and they made an appointment for me for Sept 26th to come in and discuss these. I should also mention that a year ago I had a 64 slice ct coronary angiogram that showed a complete 100 % blockage of my RCA , but with good collaterols. Where the blockage is, I am not a candidate for by-pass or angioplasty with a stent. I have no angina or symptoms from this blockage, and all other areas of the heart looked clear. Calcium score 3 - echocardiogram showed normal heart with ef of 55 -60%. While I was wearing this last event monitor I was under severe stress, had just started taking care of my bedridden mother, and was gettting very little sleep, not eating much, worrying about her, and had just started drinking diet soda. Could you tell me how dangerous a couple of runs of 8 PVCs are? They didn't call me immediately after I transmitted the recordings, so I know they weren't life threatening then - but I would like to be prepared when I see the cardiologist in Sept. Thank you so very much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:42 pm

User avatar Hi Tomah,

As you mention, PVC's are very common. 8 beat runs of PVC's are a little more concerning. Primarily because there is an increased chance that they could continue.

Your cardiologist may recommend some more testing to make sure everything is OK. It very well may be that these episodes were due to your increased stress. If you were drinking more caffeine than usual this may have contributed also.

I would not be over concerned but follow up with your cardiologist is important.

tomah - Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:51 pm

The one thing I did not get to ask the nurse when she called to give me the results, and schedule my appointment for Sept. 26th, was if i could keep walking on the treadmill. Could you give me your opinion on this, please? I usually walk 2.2mph (because of a shattered foot), for 30 to 60 minutes a day.

|