Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Rolling sensation in chest

rileysales - Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:22 pm

I 33 year old female that has had problems for years with anxiety. 3 years ago I went to the emergency room with a pulse rate of 150 - I had EKG's and also a heart echo and everything came back normal. I was put on Ziac (2.5) which I take 1/2 a pill daily. I do however catch myself holding my breath without even realizing it - problay anxiety related. It is then then that I feel what I guess is a palpitation - it feels like my heart either skips a beat or rolls.... I am trying to cut back on my caffeine. I also have alot of stress that I am trying to control with deep breathing etc... Should I be worried about this? I also feel like my upper back is tight and stiff alot of the time - this seems to get worse when the palpitations get worse. My dr tells me that it is anxiety but I am worried that I may have a heart condition. My dad has struggled with these same issues for years. Please advise
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:39 pm

User avatar Hi Rileysales,

Anxiety can certainly cause the symptoms you are describing. The rolling sensation you are feeling may be due to PVC's (premature ventricular contractions). These are often described as feeling like a missed heart beat; however, the beat did occur but too soon so the pause afterwards was longer.

If you are beginning to have this sensation more it is probably a good idea to see your doctor again to make sure everything is OK.

Cutting back on caffeine can help with PVC's and with anxiety so this is a good idea.

|