News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Pressure around the heart.

chucky83 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:55 am

I am a 35 year old female.My current medication is occasional beta blocker use because of anxiety.I smoke around 10 cigarettes a day.I have low blood pressure.Family history is throat and stomach cancer on my dads side (but they were heavy smokers and drinkers) and strokes and glucoma on my mums side.
Last year i needed to phone a out of hours doctor.
My symptoms were shortness of breath,rapid pulse,lights outside were bleary,i was hot but shivering at the same time and i felt i was going to pass out.My teeth were also chattering.It felt like shock.Then when i laid on the sofa my legs started jerking.Over the phone medical advice was to take a beta blocker which i did.It was realy frightening i thought i was going to die.The doctor arrived 3 hours later and said he thought it was a panic attack.
Later on in the year i had a real rapid pulse for no reason and again felt i was going to pass out.
I also had the heavy pressure like feeling on the top of my left breast where the heart is.
I was sent for a ecg which came back normal.
In the past 2 weeks the pressure like feeling has returned and is there most of the time like a heavy crushing feeling.It is there when i am at rest so i don`t think it is to do with anxiety.
I am going to see a doctor asap but any information as to what my condition could be would be realy helpful as my doctor in the uk could miss diagnose my condition.
Thankyou.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:26 pm

User avatar Hi Chucky83,

There are a few possibilities. Anxiety can definitely cause symptoms like you are describing. Essentially this is a panic attack. It can occur without warning and often is accompanied by feelings of dread or fear. The anxiety causes adrenaline to be released. The adrenaline then causes the heart to race, the palms to get sweaty and the other symptoms to occur.

Another possibility is that you are having episodes of too low blood pressure. In response, the heart speeds up. The low blood pressure can make a person feel dizzy or get light headed. It can also induce seizures.

Hyperthyroidism can cause some of these symptoms also. This can be tested for with a simple blood test.

Having a thorough physical exam can help guide the work up for this so seeing your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here