Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Shallow Breathing in babies

fastturbo1 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:30 am

2 month old girl, no past diagnoses, no past surgeries, son had breathing asma, no current medication. I just woudl like to know why my baby girl breat so hard sleeping and awake. There is a smoker int he house.

Anthony D. Johnson
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:17 pm

User avatar I would definitely eliminate the exposure to second-hand smoke. Try to let the smoker know this is a serious health risk for your baby and they must go outside for this activity. The more we learn about it the more we realize it can hurt in the long run, even if there are no apparent effects now. But, the smoke in the house does raise the risk for SIDS, as well as respiratory ailments like asthma.

If you are concerned about your baby's breathing, you should see a health care provider for an exam. At two months it is a good time to get a well baby checkup anyway. Her immunizations are due and there are important measurements to be taken. Discuss the smoking issues and your concerns about her breathing with your care provider. I hope you are in a position to do this. Good luck and take care.

|