News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Chronic Tachycardia

truly_frustrated - Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:57 pm

I am a 33 yo. female. for approximately 3 years now I have had a problem with chronic tachycardia. I no longer smoke as of 3.3 years, I no longer drink caffiene. Family cardiac Hx.- Maternal Grandfather fatal MI age of 51, Paternal Grandfather and Grandmother died at ages 35 and 38 yrs.- Sudden cardiac death- no medical findings at autopsy. Atleast 10 hours of the day more than half of a months time my heart rate is atleast 130 bpm at rest, excellerating to 160 bpm with activity. If you add heat or physical work it goes beyond that. My 12 lead ecgs, and event recorders all showed IST. I have been on numerous medications, at the time I take .125 Digitek twice daily and 40mg Verapamil twice daily. This still does not give me much comfort. I have had an E.P. study in which was unsuccessful, my tilt table test was negative. I have no thyroid problems- (labs. -, nuclear scan -, ultrasound-) as far as I know my echocardiograms have nothing abnormal. If my heart is not rapidly beating, I have these intermittent episodes where my heart is just throbbing- the beating is so intense I cannot stand it. I do know that during these episodes I have changes on my 12 lead ecg- It always shows up as an abnormal qrs-t angle, consider primary t wave abnormality. Sometimes I will have runs of pvc's with this. (usually 2 to 4) in a row When the throbbing heart beat stops my 12 lead ecg goes back to normal. My e.p. doctor doesn't show concern over it, just says that it is most likely an ectopic focus. The feeling of my heart throbbing like that is almost worse than the tachycardia- although that is somewhat disabling in itself at times. I know that feeling is not normal- it feels like my hearts contractility is multiplied times 100! This is not at all anxiety related- granted it has the tendency to cause that in its self sometimes! Has anyone had a pt. with something similar to this? I certainly would appreciate any medical guidance someone could give me. I would do anything to get back to living a normal life.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:33 pm

User avatar Hi Truly_Frustrated,

Continuing to follow up with your cardiologist is important. You may also want to see your primary care doctor to look into other possible causes outside the heart. I would recommend you have your thyroid levels tested since hyperthyroidism can cause this type of a problem. You may also want to have your electrolytes tested (although it would be a bit unusual for an electrolyte problem to be so persistent without other symptoms).

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here