Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Pain in left arm/forearm on effort (walking etc) & on st

AJOYANU - Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:10 am

I am a 51 year male. In 2002 I started getting pain in the left arm and left jaw which at times were acute. It was initially treated as spondylytis (I have that too but slight) but another ortho suggested a cardio check up. TMT and angiography revealed "Left anterior descending 80% stenosis" and "Left circumflex 100% Distal stenosis fills retrogradly via RCA". In layman terms I was given to understand that one artery is 80% blocked and another 100% but the latter has natural capillary bypass made by the body. Please confirm this is what the medical terms mean.

Subsequently I underwent an angioplasty in 2002 where a medicated 'cypher stent' was inserted for the 80% blockage, nothing could be done for the other one.

Pain in left arm mainly forearm on effort (walking etc) & in stressful situations has not left me even after all these years although the intensity is less. Even immediately after the angio these sypmtoms were present. Often I notice that when I go for my morning and/or evening walks after about 30 - 35 min of brisk walking the pain seems to ease slightly. Slow leisurely walk the onset of pain is much later or not at all. These days it seems the onset of the pain is much earlier (within the first 5 to 7 min) than 5 years ago.

I wish to know the reason for this pain. Is part of it psychological? Doctors vaguely tell me it is because of the 100% blockage and that I have to live with it , why??

My current medications are Concor 5/Repace 50/Tonact TG/Lonazep 0.25

Brgds
Ajoy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:43 pm

User avatar Hi Ajoy,

You are correct that your angio report indicated you had an 80% block of one vessel and 100% block of another. The 100% blocked vessel was still getting blood flow behind the blockage but from the other direction. Most of the blood vessels of the heart do have some connection to each other and can allow filling backwards but this is not ideal.

I would recommend you see your cardiologist again now that your symptoms are worsening. It is possible for other arteries to slowly close off or the stent to close off. You may need further imaging studies or stress testing.

|