News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: tachycardia - any concern?

tanxy - Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:00 am

hi,
i'm a 20 year old female, with no medical history, no past surgeries, no major family history and am not on any current medications. i'm underweight, have low BP and am generally unfit with a resting heart rate of about 80bpm. i don't drink, smoke or do drugs.

in the past i've had short episodes of palpitations, where i can hear and feel the beats very clearly. it mostly occurs at rest, while just sitting, but more specifically has occurred when i turn my body quickly when changing directions when walking or standing (by 90 to 180 degrees)...

in the past week, i've been under a lot of stress, but when this most recent episode of palpitations occurred, i was under no stress at the time and was just standing at rest. it happened when i turned my body 180 degrees in a quick motion. the palpitations started suddenly and didn't stop for over 10-15minutes. HR ~ 120+ bpm. towards the end of the palpitations i had tightness in the chest as well as felt some lightheadedness and felt like i was either going to pass out or throw up (same feeling as when i get postural hypotension).
i had a small amount of caffeine more than 6 hours prior, but the pharmacist suggested it could be an adrenaline rush.

my only concern is that the palpitations have never lasted this long before and that it lead to chest tightness and lightheadedness. should i be concerned at all, or is this a normal thing that happens every now and then?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:04 pm

User avatar Hi Tanxy,

I suspect this may be a normal response related to your low blood pressure. When you stand or move, the heart normally responds by beating faster until the blood vessels appropriately constrict.

With thinner people this is sometimes more pronounced. If your blood pressure is on the lower end this response may be more pronounced as well.

It is worth seeing your doctor for a check up about this though.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here