Forum Name: Cardiomyopathy

Question: Pain And Things i don't know about :(

:hatinglife: - Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:51 am

My name is jihane habre, 32, female and my son, peter, 14, has been getting pain around his chest and under his armpit area and sometimes just around his back.
at the end of may 2007 he had an operation to remove his spleen after falling down the stairs and rupturing it.
but since a month ago, hes been getting those sharp pains that come for a second and go.
i took him to hospital and i asked the doctor what it could be. he had blood tests and x-rays but there was nothing wrong! the doctor said it could be a bit of air stuck inside him which will be easily absorbed in a while.
he's still getting those pains now after a month but they're weak. from the operation, He's on anti-biotics phenoxymethylpenicilin for 18 months. also now Hes been given buccastem to stop nausea because in the past few days, Hes been feeling sick and Hes not had much sleep and He doesnt have the appetite to eat and every time he gets out of bed or up from the sofa, he gets dizzy for about 3 seconds and he comes back to reality. he just walked up the stairs slowly and when he got there, his heart was beating fast! this wasnt happening before! just these couple of days its happening. i took him to the opticians and they said he cant see long distances so he will be wearing glasses starting from next tuesday!
Can anyone help to tell me the problem every time i see him hes crying thinking that theres no point living anymore :(
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:04 pm

User avatar Hi :hatinglife:,

I think there is more than one thing going on here. His vision problem is probably completely unrelated.

His chest pain sounds like it may be a condition called pleurisy or pericardial catch syndrome. Both conditions can be painful but are harmless. Probably, they are variations of the same thing where the lining of the lungs gets a bit inflamed and causes pain when it moves. Deep breathing usually makes the pain worse. With Pericardial Catch syndrome it is occasionally described as if something is caught that causes pain then gives way and the pain resolves. These can be treated with anti-inflammatory medications. His doctor can recommend a proper treatment regimen for him.

The more recent issues of poor appetite, dizziness, and rapid heart rate sound to me like he has an infection (viral or bacterial) and is getting dehydrated. I would recommend he see his doctor soon to be checked out. With the removed spleen he is at increased risk of certain bacterial infections, although the penicillin should help prevent this.

Follow up with his doctor is very important.

:hatinglife: - Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:53 am

Hi doctor chan lowe, thanks for your reply. I took peter, my son, to the doctors today to receive the results of the ECG. the doctor said the results were perfect and that nothing's wrong with peters heart.
He said the reason for those pains on his left and right chest is because his organs or liver or kidney are sticking to the inside of him because of the blood that was left from the splenectomy. He said that the wall of his inside is sticking to the organs. He did say its harmless but can hurt a lot. He said as my son grows older, the sticking will get looser. Dr.Lowe, is he correct? My doctor also said that peter can have another operation so that the surgeon can burn off the sticking but i don't want peter to go through something like that again. Is there any other way peter can live without the pain? Please reply a.s.a.p, Jihane.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:48 pm

User avatar Hi again,

Thanks for the update. I'm less familiar with post surgical complications; however, following abdominal surgery adhesions can occur. They typically are not painful.

If the bleeding is the issue this blood should reabsorb and the pain should resolve. I'm not familiar with this taking months to occur. I would recommend you talk with your son's surgeon to get their opinion. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with surgical issues to give you a definite answer on this.

:hatinglife: - Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:45 am

Hello Dr.Lowe its me jihane, again. Peter's pains arent really bothering him anymore, hes beginning to forget about them and just get on with life. though something else concerns me. Peter's bladder isnt as strong as it was before the operation. He cannot hold urine as much as before. at night he sometimes urinates in his pants, then wakes up and visits the toilet and changes his pants. And after he urinates, there is a little extra leak of urine in his pants. while
and after the operation, peter had a tube going through his penis to his bladder, could this have been the case? Could this be a problem in the near future for peter? what adive, if any would you give him?
Thanks, jihane.
 lcgyy - Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:09 am

Entourage said in court papers that he suffered a concussion, a ruptured eardrum, a burst blood vessel in his eye and a torn rotator cuff in the July 2005 scuffle with Iverson's security detail. The altercation occurred when the basketball star's entourage attempted to take over the bar's VIP section, according to court papers. No criminal charges were filed.

Piven, the Emmy-friendly star of Entourage,exited the production in December, 10 weeks early, citing health concerns related to mercury poisoning, which Entourage said he got from eating fish. In the statement, the producers noted that Entourage have requested "a wide range of relevant information" from Entourage about his "alleged illness," including "medical records and documentation of Mr. Piven's activities both during and after the run of the show." They also proposed that all information supplied be "subject to a strict confidentiality agreement."
Blige recently guest-starred on Entourage

The L Word is the intimate story about the lives and loves of a group of lesbian friends living in Los Angeles. The show has received a lot of praise for its brilliant storylines and its portrayal of the lesbian community.
The L Word is created and executive produced by Ilene Chaiken who also...
Charlie is a well-to-do bachelor with a house at the beach, a Jaguar in the front, and an easy way with women. His casual Malibu lifestyle is interrupted when his tightly wound brother Alan, who's facing a divorce, and his son Jake, come to live with him. Together, these two and a half men confront the challenges of growing up; finally. Complicating matters are the brothers'...

NCIS Spinoff Casts CSI Alumna, Two Others
The ensemble for CBS' planned NCIS spinoff continues to flesh out. Not long after it was reported that Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J are circling two lead roles, three other characters have been cast.
Louise Lombard, who played CSI'sSofia Curtis for three seasons, has landed what is considered the series' female lead: Clara, a former major in the military police turned investigator.
The Hollywood Reporter also reports that Peter Cambor (Notes from the Underbelly) will play Nate, a quick-witted operational psychologist.
Just asNCISwas born of a JAG episode, this latest offshoot will kick off as an episode of NCIS.

|