Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: What do i do!!!!high blood pressure

Ireland1 - Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:29 am

Hi Doctor,

Im 29 years old male living in Dublin Ireland. I am 66kg (slim) and I train/exercise 4-5 times a week. I recently got my blood pressure checked in the g.p and my blood pressure was 147/78. I was on holiday from work so i was relatively stress free.

I got my colestral checked by blood test and i was 4.8. I don't understand why i am 147/78

I went back to the gp over 3 consecutive weeks and i was still around the same.

My dad has high blood pressure and is taking medication but he is 55. My doctor told me not to worry but i am since i don't drink nor smoke. I don't really agree with him.I have a good diet so so what should i do. how do i have this moderate hypertension?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:24 pm

User avatar There is a genetic element associated with high blood pressure. This means anyone can have the problem, even when they are doing everything "right" to lower their risk (diet, weight, health maintenance, exercise, etc). You might call it "luck of the draw" and you may be one of those unlucky ones who drew the gene for high blood pressure.

What this means is that you should do all you can to eat right, exercise and monitor it, but you may also have to have a blood pressure medication to counter the effects of your genetic predisposition. So, see your health care provider and be sure you are linked up with someone who can continue to manage your health since this is a chronic disease that will require long-term monitoring.

|