Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: abnormal EKG post ablation

bbtumblebug - Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:28 pm

I had an ablation done for SVT september 2006 and they burned 3 nodes and could not get the SVT back up so considered it successful. I continue to have some random PVC's and my heartrate would go up but not high enough to be SVT. A few days ago the SVT was triggered by standing up and dehydration and after some fluids it was gone again. The next 2 days the pvc's were frequent and yesterday I went to the doctor where they did an EKG that showed some infarction. I am a 24yo healthy female, 110 lbs 5'6, the doctor said that they were possibly picking up the ablation site on the EKG but after comparing it to my previous 2 EKG's that were also done after my ablation said that they did not show the infarction. They did some blood work which all came back fine and told me to follow up with my cardiologist.

I'm just wondering if the EKG was possibly picking up the ablation site after almost 1 year post-ablation when it wasn't picking it up before or if this would have to be something new. It's going to take me a few weeks to get into my cardiologist and since I'm not having horrible chest pain (just a little LUQ discomfort) they didn't request me to go into the ER. Thanks for any help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 pm

User avatar Hi Bbtumblebug,

My knowledge of this particular subject is a little limited but I'll try to give you some helpful information.

If you develop worse chest pain, pain in the arms, jaw or back, sweating or any signs worrisome for heart problems you should be evaluated right away.

In the meantime it does seem reasonable to wait and see your cardiologist. EKG's are very sensitive to lead placement. If the wire lead was placed slightly wrong it can result in changes on the EKG. So, probably the next step for you would be to have the EKG repeated by your cardiologist to compare. If the areas are still present your cardiologist may want to do some further imaging studies of the heart or a stress test to see if there are any underlying issues.

It seems unlikely that an SVT ablation a year ago would just now be causing changes on an EKG; however, I'm not sure on this point.

bbtumblebug - Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:38 pm

Thank you for your time and information, I will be seeing my cardiologist early Thursday morning, a lot sooner than I had expected. I will update with any information after my appointment. Thanks again.

|