News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: RVSP Calculations From Echo -- Are They Accurate?

llyr8 - Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:24 pm

Hello,

I am a 41 year old female who recently had a Doppler echo done of my heart.

The findings were a myxomatous mitral valve... with thickened/redundant leaflets and trace regurgitation.

(Left ventricular size and function were normal)

And mild to moderate tricuspid regurgitation. EF was 70% and the other numbers were normal.

Anyway the cardiologist mentioned that my RSVP was elevated at 30 - 40 mm HG. RSVP calculation was 34.

I was concerned about that number and asked my GP about it. He said that he "sees those numbers all the time" and that it is "very rare" to have pulmonary hypertension.

I told him that I was still concerned about it and so he ordered some chest X-rays.

Should my doctor be doing more?

BTW... I had a bad case of "white coat syndrome" the day of my echo exam. The Echo tech mentioned that my heart rate was high. It was around 110 BPM when it normally is only in the low 70's when I am sitting or lying flat.

Could this have affected my RVSP? When I have "white coat syndrome" my BP also climbs too.

For example when I visited my doctor today to go over the echo results, it was 150/88 when other times it is below the 120/80.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:09 pm

User avatar Hello - The combination of the RSVP number, which can, indeed, be pretty vague most of the time, and your "White Coat" response together could easily account for your concerns. Your primary has been appropriately conservative in the absence of any symptoms suggestive of Cor Pulmonale (CP), aka pulmonary hypertension. The condition is fairly rare, and is almost never uncovered by accident, but rather as a result of marked and often debilitating symptoms. To determine beyond a reasonable doubt whether or not someone actually has this condition, the risk of invasive testing in an asymptomatic person would far outweigh the usefulness. In other words, it would seem you are in pretty good health. Since you've been diagnosed with a myxotomous mitral valve you will (or certainly should) be followed for that with periodic echocardiography, and this would also show any truly suggestive changes.

It sounds as though your heart and lungs are, in all important respects, functioning remarkably well. Do be sure to have a re-check for the mitral valve in no more than a year just to be prudent, or sooner if symptoms should develop. (This last should be a rule to live by, really, for all of us).

Good health to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here