Question: Constantly falling asleep within 20min of eating

TMalonson - Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:06 am

My mom is 62 Female
the only past diagnoses was she is borderline diabetic
She has had no past surgeries.
and im not sure of all the family history all I know is her father died of a blood clot that traveled to his heart.
She is on no current meds but she does take a number of vitamins every day.

My mother hates to go to the Dr. and she prefers to do things naturally if she can but she will go to a Dr. when there is no natural fix or she does not know what the problem is.

She is very active so much that she runs circles around me and most others, but lately every time she eats food and it does not matter what kind sweet, healthy, salty she will fall asleep within 20 min for about an hour this has become such a problem for her that she now avoids eating during the day and tries to only eat dinner so that it does not interfere with her daily activity. This worries me as I think she should be eating more.

Yesterday she took a potassium pill in the morning with the rest of her vitamins she said this is something she had not taken for a couple of months. Yesterday she ate 3 times and never once fell asleep now she is concerned that is is lack of oxygen to the brain somehow and the potassium is what helped her.

My question is could she be right? or could it be something more being as she is after all 62? I have talked her in to going to the Dr. next week I hope he can tell us something that helps. what do you think?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:08 pm

User avatar Hi TMalonson,

This is an interesting issue. I'm not aware of hypokalemia causing sleep issues. It may be coincidental that the two happened at the same time.

Seeing the doctor is a good idea. One possibility is that she is having trouble regulating her blood sugar. Upon eating, her blood sugar may go very high which can cause a sleepy like state.

Beyond this I really can't explain sleepiness in association with eating.

Keep us updated if you don't mind. Best wishes.
 TMalonson - Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:24 pm

Thank you so much

she has been falling asleep after eating now for about 4 months i think it is her blood sugar because one time over a year ago she checked her blood sugar and it was very very high well over 200 but when she started checking it all the time it was in the normal range and stoped so I was thinking she should start again.

I will keep you informed thanks again

p.s. could you look at my topic feels like my heart stops I tend to ignor things as well and if it is bad I would like you to let me know so that I don't ignor something serious.

|