News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: pain in center of chest w/deep breaths

ny2125 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:34 pm

my wife woke up today and a few times she said when she would take a deep breath, she would get a pain. she has no other pain. her bp, cholesterol, and other things are fine. she does not smoke. she is 32 yrs. old and 7 mos. pregnant. she sleeps on her side and she said she has gotten this in the past and thinks its from sleeping like this. does this sound bad? she does have bad vericose veins tho. she seems fine otherwise and it only happened a couple of times. mostly in the morning. any insight would be great.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:58 pm

User avatar Hi Ny2125,

I suspect that what your wife was experiencing is a condition called pleurisy. Pleurisy is due to an inflamed area of the lining of the lungs and chest wall (the pleura). It classically causes pain with deep breathing.

Heart pain is often more vague pain that is a bit hard to pinpoint. It really is not affected by deep breathing.

Pleurisy can be treated by using anti-inflammatory medicines.

If the pain does not improve in the next day or so I would advise her to see her doctor.

Best wishes.
 ny2125 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:57 pm

for the response! i appreciate it.
 Le Da Hae - Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:08 am

I used to feel the pain when i take a deep breath.usually under my left rib, and i don't know why.I can't talk and move either b'coz it is too painful.I thought it is b'coz of tiredness. however, these days i always feel uncomfortable in my chest. sometimes it feel hurt@feel like it is hot,sometimes i only feel itchy@uncomfortable. I also easily feel tired.My class is at 3rd floor at a block of school buildings.Only these days I feel the pain.I want to know why.I only put on some medication oil on my chest to relieve the pain,but it is not for long. now,i still feel it.The pain is felt until at the centre of my back,and sometimes I even could not get up!Am I having a heart disease?What should I do?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here