Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Heart Fluttering

needsomerelief1987 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:23 pm

Right now my heart seems to be flutterin (I look at my chest and I can clearly see it beating irregularly) but I feel somewhat calm when I'm not thinking about it. I get chills and I have itchin spells also. I asked my mom if I could be taken to the ER but she says that it's most likely anxiety and that she won't take me because I got an EKG about 3 months ago (because of heart palpitations) and that the insurance probably won't cover the charges because of that. So right now I'm trying to stay calm but every time I look down at my chest it brings me no relief because of its irregular beat and flutterin and what not. So right now I'm sorta of in a quandary of what to do can anyone tell me what this might be? My mom said she'd take me to the primary care doctor on tue the 4th which is quite awhile from now so I'm sorta scared that I'll pass out or have heart failure (god forbid) if anyone can give me any relief i'd be eternally grateful.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:23 pm

User avatar Hi there - First suggestion I'd make is that you quit looking at it! Seriously, this would allow you to better evaluate whether or not you are experiencing any symptoms aside from the observed and preceived "fluttering." See, those of us who are built so that we can see the apex of the heart moving the chest wall often perceive that motion as fluttering. We also, when not actually taking our pulse, can perceive the rhythm of the heart to be bouncing or irregular.

Take your pulse at your wrist, for at least 15 seconds (then multiply the count by 4) and see what your rate is, and just how irregular it feels. I'm going to guess you were born in 1987? If so, and if you are thin enough to be able to see your heart's movement in your chest, then the rate could be a little faster than average. If it is under 100 it is probably just fine.

You have apparently had palpitations before, and you need to know that this, in itself, is extremely common and can be caused by any one of a huge list of innocent things. Caffeine, nicotine, stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, etc., are but a few. Then again, most of us have some of this happen from time to time anyway, for no apparent reason. The important thing is to have it evaluated, declared innocent/harmless, and then learn to live with that verdict even though the symptoms seem so unpleasant.

It's not always easy. I hope you'll be able to spend a little time discussing this with a sympathetic doctor. It is almost always harmless, but it certainly can be crazymaking.

Good luck to you. Please do stay in touch.

|