Question: Unexplained/Undiagnosed chest/haert pain.

lmfclcl - Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:58 am

I'm a 40 y/o woman in general good health. Blood pressure, cholesterol & CBP all normal. On may 12th I woke up feeling dizzy & noticed my heart was beating out of rythym. fast, then slow, then hard pounding beats, then skipped beats, then double beats. I also had pain in my chest in the heart area. I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the ER and they hooked me to the heart monitor and did all kinds of blood work and said they found nothing and I was likely having a panick attack which I never had in my life. I followed up with my PCP who did more blood work and still found nothing. Every day since that day I have had moderate to very extreme chest pain in the left side in the heart area. I saw a cardiologist who did a stress test and echo and a halter monitor and said I had a lot of skipped beats but that should not be the cause of my chest pain. The pain worsened and from May 12th through early July i had massive chest pain all day every day right in my heart and nothing was diagnosed. I saw a neurologist, an endocrinologist, a pulmonoligist, a gastrointerologist, a rheumatologist - no diagnosis. Finally the cardiologist did an angiogram and said my heart was perfect - as healthy as it could possibly be. Still only the diagnosis of skipped beats and extra beats. Primary care doctor took the "anxiety" path and put me on zoloft and xanax and no relief. Its been 4 months - my life is ruined. I live in constant pain all day, all night with no diagnosis. Occasionally, it goes away for a few hours and during that time I remember what its like to live normal again, but then it comes back. Its always worse at night - I wake up every 30 to 60 minutes in massive pain. I am so sleep deprived. I was treated for Gerd with no relief and do not have a hernia. Exercise or movement does not make it better or wose - its always the same. Im afraid to be alone, don't want to be far from home and am terrified that every day is going to be my last. I'm in counseling learning biofeedback and even the therapist believes the pain is not caused by anxiety, but rather the anxiety is caused by the pain - but what is the cause. Any ideas? Please help. I'm a single mom of two and I feel like i'm a prisoner of pain.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:42 pm

User avatar Hi Lmfclcl,

Unfortunately, I can't explain your symptoms. I wish I could. I do have a thought about a possible treatment for your pain.

If you have not tried this yet you may want to talk with your doctor about using ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory and taking it on a regular, scheduled basis 3-4 times per day for a week. If there is an inflammatory component it may help suppress the inflammation and pain.

You may also want to try a medicine that is more aimed at nerve type pain. An example of this medicine is a seizure medicine called gabapentin (brand name Neurontin). While it is actually a seizure medicine, it often can have significant impact on controlling pain that is being caused by nerve problems. (Not nerves as in anxiety but pain from nerve inflammation or other issues.)

I hope this helps some. Hang in there. Often, the answers to these problems become more apparent over time.

|