Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Palpitations on fainting

elephantgirl - Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:47 pm

I am a 35year old female i have been fainting for the pst 15 years most times I faint I have heart palpatations when i faint I am on out for a few seconds i have had a eeg ecg mri scan ct scan been on telemtry and the only thing the doctors say is my heart is a little tacicardic but slows sometimes and that I am only a fainter i also have diabetes and pyoderma gandenesum and sleep apnea i was wondering if anyone can suggest some thing else am at my wits end the docotrs have said to just live with it
please help me
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:50 pm

User avatar Hi Elephantgirl,

You may want to have a tilt-table test done. This tests for a condition known as neurocardiogenic syncope. This is a complex condition that involves the heart and the nerves. Normally, when a person stands up or is standing for a little while the blood "settles" a little to the legs. Subsequently the heart speeds up a bit to compensate. In this condition, nerve fibers in the heart sense the increase in heart rate and "think the heart is beating too fast" so they signal to slow the heart rate down. This slowing causes a reduced blood flow to the brain and the person passes out (has a syncope episode). The body then compensates and blood flow is restored appropriately. This sounds bad but is not actually dangerous. The danger comes by falling and hurting oneself when passing out.

A tilt table test looks for this condition. If it is found it is quite easily treated.

Treatment for syncope in general is to stay very well hydrated.

elephantgirl - Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:19 pm

I havfe had a tilt table test done in which i fainted off the table I am a large person and the straps didnt hold me they want to do a other one when they can if its not that thing you said is there anything else it could be i am hosuebound because of the fainting and cant exercise to lose the weight i hurt myself alot recently i fainted and landed on a knife in which i cut my stomach open the doctors in new zealand just know what else to do me either
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:55 pm

User avatar If you fainted while the table was being raised this may actually be a positive test. The treatment for this condition (though a little counterintuitive) is to take a beta-blocker to blunt the rapid heart rate rise and prevent the slowing of the heart.

I would recommend you discuss this with your cardiologist. If you do have this condition treatment can make a huge difference.

If the heart isn't the cause you may want to see a neurologist. Another possible treatment to discuss with your doctor is taking a mineralocorticoid medication to help you keep your blood vessels at maximal "fullness".

elephantgirl - Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:34 am

thank you I will ask the doctor that can you faint for no medical reason just wondering the heat plays a big part in my fainting i get real hot that my body doesnt know how to cool down why would that be
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:59 pm

User avatar Heat can contribute to dehydration making fainting more likely. You may want to have your thyroid levels tested. Elevated thyroid levels can cause the body to overheat much more easily and have trouble cooling off.

|