Question: Flutter in my chest like a rush of adrenaline to the heart

mnqcljsm - Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 am

Please could anyone help me? Im a 23 year old male, and i have always been very fit and healthy. I have never had any previous health issues.

About 6 months ago i noticed a flutter in my chest which is difficult to describe - like a localised rush of adrenaline where my heart is, which lasts for just a second or so and happens maybe 2-3 times a day. Soon after, In addition to the flutters i became very aware of my heart and can often feel it thumping (like its beating harder than normal). Recently i have had a mild ache in my left arm/shoulder too! I don't feel dizzy, breathless or have significant chest pain when symptoms occur and my ECG, Echo, X-Ray and Blood test are apparently all normal. It doesnt seem to be effected by alcohol, caffeine or exercise either. However, im certain that there's something wrong, and its not just anxiety, and its worrying me so much that its taking over my life.

Can anyone offer any advice? It would be very much appreciated
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:51 pm

User avatar Hi Mnqcljsm,

What you are experiencing may be a heart rhythm called supraventricular tachycardia. The ECG may be normal if not done during one of these episodes.

You may need to have a holter monitor test done. This is basically a 24 hour ECG that can hopefully document the heart rhythm during one of the episodes.

This is the best way to find out what the heart is doing when you feel the fluttering. Usually a cardiologist orders one of these although your primary care doctor may also be able to do this.

|