News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Could this be marphans?

Barb - Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:59 pm

I am 39 almost 40 and female. I have on and off tingling and numbness in my finger tips on both hands. I feel vibration, like a cell phone in your pocket on vibrate, in various spots from my waist down. Some shortness of breath, pain in chest & ribs and light headedness off and on. My blood pressure has risen in the last year. I also have constant headaches that sometimes make me sick to my stomach. I do smoke and probably do not eat correctly or i should say enough. I was in the military for 16 years and now work as a contractor/carpenter. I work many hours and hard labor. I am 5'10" about 145 to 150 lbs.
I have had 2 acl replacements. neither were cadaver replacements. I have had a pnuemo thorax, complete collapse of left lung. I've had 3 oral surgieries. I also had non contagious hepatitis when I was 9. I have a torn superior labrum in my left shoulder. And on and off back problems.
My father has marphans. My grandmother died from an aortic rupture due to marphans. My father has diabetis. And both sides of my family have several heart, diabetic, and cancer problems.
I am currently not on any meds. As I have no insurance and can't afford it at this time.
I just need to know if the symptoms I'm having are anything to do with marphans, a possible heart problem, circulation or just plain old not taking care of something? Thankyou very much for any input.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:57 pm

User avatar Hi Barb,

Having both parents with Marfan's put you at high risk for also having this disorder. The tingling does not necessarily go along with Marfan's but a pneumothorax can.

I would recommend you talk with your doctor about seeing a geneticist for further evaluation. Marfan's carries a risk of aortic dissection so it is good to make the diagnosis if it is present. This way proper screening can be done for future problems in case they arise.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here