Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: D-dimer results question

The Phoenix - Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:01 pm

Hello, and thanks for making this site available!

Have a question about my d-dimer results, but let me give a short history leading up to it:

I am a professional athlete, and in the very beginning of June I was diagnosed with 3 PE`s. Two very small, one medium. I was hospitalized for a week and put on warfarin. My INR was theraputic after 5 days, and has been between 2.2 and 2.7 without fail. I had a d-dimer done after 3 months (as prompted by the PREVENT study), and my doctor said the result was "less than .01", and that it was a remarkable result. My question is, what exactly does it mean? My doctor is very helpful but by no means a specialist and couldn`t (or wouldn`t) tell me more than that.

The causes of my PE were clearly defined and were transient (and resolved). My main question, again, is what does it signify with a "less than .01" D-dimer result?

Thanks again!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:32 pm

User avatar Hi The Phoenix,

D-dimers are formed from the break down of clots. So if the level is elevated it signals that there is increased clotting somewhere and for some reason. In your initial case, the PE's are basically clots sitting in the pulmonary vessels. They slowly breakdown (even in the early stages) causing the D-dimer to go up.

As the clots resolve, the d-dimer level will drop also. Your low level is indicative of little active clotting going on. This is the goal of the warfarin therapy and the low level is indicative that it is working.

I hope this helps some.

|