Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: sharp pains on sides of breastbone, between shoulderblades

saintric_21 - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:35 am

Hi Doctors,
I have posted here today as I don't know where to turn to.
I have been suffering for the last 3 months from various pains in my body along with twitches and spasms.

I have had many blood tests,x-rays,and ECG tests

these all coming back normal except for high creatinin in my kidneys in 2 of the last blood tests.My doctor
said it was nothing to worry about and that the rest of my symptoms is Anxiety related.I accepted this and hoped it would go if I relaxed but it has got worse and now my Doctors wont help me as they think its my anxiety.The symptoms I have are sharp pains on either side of my breastbone, pains in my stomach/chest, when I push in the left side of my stomach area gives me sharp shooting pains elsewhere.
But the worst pains are the ones in the center of my back between the shoulder blades,and spasms that are very big inside the center of my chest below the breastbone,
Breathlessness and also I get very painful sharp shooting pains in my neck that make me feel nauses.I think that I might have a heart problem? or most possibly a clot in my chest or a pulmonary embolism? do these symptoms sound like anything you know of doctor??[code][/code]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:49 pm

User avatar Hi Saintric_21,

Your pain does not sound consistent with heart pain or a pulmonary embolism. I am more suspicious that you may have a diffuse pleurisy (inflammation of the lining of the lungs).

Following up with your doctor is important in helping figure out what is going on.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:34 pm

User avatar I agree with Dr. Chan that your symptoms are not consistent with either pulmonary embolism or pain due to cardiac ischemia.

I understand your concerns as well as your frustration. However, the only way to solve this is to get a second opinion and have another doctor examine you.

Other causes of sudden chest pain include aortic dissection. That may present with pain between the shoulder blades or with renal problems depending on its location. Let me stress however, that statistically speaking this would be very unlikely to be your condition (it happens at a late age 50-70). The fact that you do not have any risk factors for dissection (hypertension, Marfan's syndrome, bicuspid aortic valve or coarctation of the aorta) make it even less likely. This condition is usually diagnosed by CT, MRI or transesophageal echo.

Please keep this post updated with your condition.

|