Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: hormone problems and hypertension

carfran - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 pm

I am a female 47 year old and diagnosed with hypertension, obesity, asthma(allergy) and I am premenopausal. My dad has had hypertension since he was 40 and my mom since she was 55. My mom recently had 2 heart attacks at 66 and my dad had a balloon angioplasy at about 58. Both are still living. My 3 siblings have none of these diagnoses. One grandmother lived to be 91 and the other one is still alive and 90.

Since 42, I have had several periods that last up to 3 months and bleeding so heavy that I can't leave the house for more than 1 hour at a time. This problem has been controlled by taking bcp and I have even tried natural progesterone which both worked with one problem.

My blood pressure jumps/resets higher everytime I take hormones. Last time,my blood pressure jumped from 140/90 to 160/100 so I am now taking a spironolactane and lisinopril. My bp is now under 120/80 and stable and I seem to be having relatively normal periods again. I have been encouraged to have an ablation done on my uterus but I first want to understand my problem better. I am also taking Allegra for my allergies of pollen,ragweed, and mold. (I struggle with sinus infections which I believe is related to some kind of fungus but I don't know how to treat it.) I use albuterol when I start wheezing and can't breathe very well which always starts up in August to November.

My question: I read that hormonal problems can cause hypertension; is this true and if so, how does that work?

Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:09 pm

User avatar It is true that there is a correlation between hormones and blood pressure, but usually we are talking about different hormones than the sex hormones that affect your periods. The entire body functions as a result of hormones that make everything else work. We don't know exactly why some people develop high blood pressure but various hormones may increase or decrease its presence.

Many patients with essential hypertension have alterations of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system. So, yes hormones are involved, but no, not the same hormones that are giving you grief with your periods. Although we do have "master" glands that regulate the other hormones, so there can be a connection.

As for the ablation - this can be an excellent option for permanently controlling your excessive perimenopausal bleeding without adding additional hormones with their potential side effects. I would agree with the doctors who are suggesting it. You may also be able to reduce the risk of anemia that may come with your blood loss. It is not an option for women who want to bear more children but I assume you are not in that category.

|