Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Questionable chest discomfort

redsfan78 - Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:23 pm

I am reposting this because I do not think anyone has read it in the "symptoms" forum.

Male 29, 285 pounds. Hypertension. Taking Toprol 100 mg. no surgeries. no family history.

For the last two years I have been having these on and off pains all around my chest. Sometimes they are on the right, other times on the left, sometimes it is just in my upper left side where my arm meets my body. The pain a lot of times are quick "zaps" like sharp pains and other times it can feel like a dull soreness for a small time.

I never experience Shortness of breath, but I was also diagnosed with Anxiety and panic a couple of years ago. These pains do not happen when I am walking or running, but can happen while I am just sitting around.

I went to the doctor last week and he did an EKG and a a CBC blood test. other than my heart beating fast he didnt seemed concerned about the EKG, and my blood work came back fine.

Do these sound like cardiac symptoms? Any help would be appreciated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:48 am

User avatar Hello - Fortunately you've provided enough information that I can say with reasonable conviction that no, the pains you describe do not sound like they are cardiac-related. In fact I would have said that anyway, but given the history of anxiety, the negative cardiac workup, etc., I feel they are likely related to the anxiety itself, although of course there are other things inside the thorax which can hurt. The fact that the pains are diffuse, usually sharp and fleeting, and are not aggravated by exercise all just add weight to the idea that these are not at all cardiac in nature. You've done all the right things in getting yourself checked, but the concern over the pains still lingers, which is a common trait seen in those with chronic generalized anxiety.

Without making any sort of referral I feel safe in saying that with the picture you have drawn with your history and symptoms that the pains are not cardiac in nature but quite possibly due to chronic generalized anxiety (GAD). You might want to look in that direction for relief from your concerns.

Hope this helps.

|