Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: High Blood Pressure ... When should I get Help?

christuggle - Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:15 am

I realize that these blood pressure machines in stores are not right on the money. Would I be right to believe that if I use the same one... I should have a ballpark number?
Anyways I've had a history of my bp spiking and I"m never sure if I should go to the hospital. I'm male, 35 years of age with some bp problems on my dads side.

To the point. At times (rather when my head hurts alot) I check my bp. I've used this same bp manchine for a year or so. Heres the results about a hour ago, 171/113 with a pulse rate of 123. Yes My Head Hurts pretty bad. Other than that I feel OKAY. Finances have made this hard to deal with. The odd thing is that my bp will stay normal-high (140/90) range for months.

I know theres no set number to go get help, but when should I be thinking that way?

THANK YOU so very much for your time!
Chris
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:26 am

User avatar Dear Christuggle,

High blood pressure is dangerous because if left untreated it can contribute to serious complications such as stroke, cardiomyopathy, kidney problems, vision problems, and so much more. While it is accepted that life stressors can contribute to hypertension (the technical term for high blood pressure), it is also understood that a person with a family history of hypertension has an increased possibility of inheriting this disorder. The numbers you mention (170 + over 110+) are clinically of great concern. Whether or not this pressure is driven up due to stress, or is elevated due to your own physiology can only be determined by a doctor, with lab work, possibly Echocardiogram, possibly stress test, and an EKG. If you are checking your pressure as frequently as you portray, it seems you have some concerns. Please address them to you PCP (Primary care Physician) and follow through on his or her recommendations.

|