News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Heart pain

nakinyemi - Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:51 am

Hello all

I am 25, a Nigerian male with occasional heart pain. I have not been the hospital as that is expensive here. I am currently on no medications.

For the last three months I have these heart aches that come and go and sometimes could last for hours. It feels like someone is squeezing my heart and the pain is not in the center of my chest rather in my heart area. Its like the feeling of when you are depressed just that theres the pain.

Thank you and God bless.
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:46 am

User avatar Dear Nakinyemi,
How long have you been in the US? l get the impression that you are acquainted with depression, and the "feelings" thereof. Is your presence here for pleasure, or for business, or related to family choices outside of your control? Depression can indeed cause chest pain/pressure. The process for determining if a problem is cardiac related or depression, is generally one that follows a "rule-out" for cardiac first - after all it is wisest to make sure the pump is working properly, Then one can decide what emotional ailments may be causing pain. For the cardiac workup there are simple blood tests, and an EKG (electrocardiogram) that can show it there are any cardiac enzyme elevations indicative of heart damage. Even a young man can have cardiac problems. And even a young man can have emotional distresses that can cause chest pain. There are community clinics in nearly every town in America that offer free or low cost health evaluations. You may ask at the local hospital emergency room for a referral, or even ask them for a reasonable payment play and be evaluated there. I strongly suggest you look into this as soon as you are able - better to know now if you have any serious heart problems, than to find out after suffering a major heart event!
 nakinyemi - Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:57 pm

Hello Thank you very much for your response.

I am actually in Nigeria and I will adhere to the advice given to me. The pain has actually now moved the lower and now is just beneath my heart area. The frequency has reduced as I try to get occupied with work or family.

I am really grateful to this help and pray for good things to come your way. Thank you Marcelin

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here