News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Heart Palpitations

Indigoberries3 - Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm an 18-year-old male with a family that has a history of heart disease and strokes. For the past 2 weeks, I've had heart palpitations almost 24/7. There isn't really any pain present.. just the constant awareness of my heart beating at a relatively normal rate. I've done some research and have read this could be a symptom of congenital heart failure, coronary heart disease, heart attacks, etc. and am starting to get pretty paranoid. On some instances, it seems like the palpitations are accompanied by shortness of breath, which may just be the result of my paranoia. I know this sounds ridiculous but i just have this feeling in the back of my head that I could drop dead at any second. I'm not extremely active or inactive, extremely healthy or unhealthy.. not obese, just a normal teen. My parents are the type to freak out over small issues, so i haven't told them or seen a doctor. I would rather find out first if this could be something potentially serious or if it's just induced by stress or some negligible factor that will go away over time. Also (and i'm not sure if it's related or not) but i've had a strange burping sensation in my esophagus for some time now.. which i'm less concerned about. Any advice or help you can give me would be hugely appreciated... I don't like worrying about death and heart problems at such a young age :(
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:04 pm

User avatar I'm sorry we weren't able to get to your question sooner. I hope you have already received some help or the problem has resolved.

What I would recommend is a general physical exam. It would be good to tell your parents that it is recommended that all teens be examined just as younger children have regular well-child exams. It is a fact that teens are overlooked in this important area. It is good to discuss any concerns with a doctor at that time. This can include adult immunization recommendations, acne, growth, hormonal changes, sexuality, decisions about future, mental health issues, etc. During this exam you can bring up any questions you have about the symptoms you have noticed. Then the doctor can address these as well.

I hope you will do this and would encourage any young adults to do the same.

Good luck.
 lindzyb - Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:06 pm

I am by NO means any type of medical professional, but I was having severe Heart palpitations/skipped beats and it turned out to be a Thyroid Gland problem. Just an Idea for you. ???

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here