Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Pulse rate

Mutant1981 - Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:49 pm

25/M I donate plasma regulary around 4 times a month and when I get up to get my vitals taken nervous about my heart rate being to high. There is no reason to be nervous about getting your vitals! Can thinking about it to much really increase her pluse rate and how can I keep it calmed down? If it's 100 and over I have ruined my chance in donating that day. I don't drnk caffiene before I go but can certain foods affect your pulse rate? My blood pressure is normal all the time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:32 pm

User avatar Hi Mutant1981,

There is a well known syndrome called "white coat syndrome" where the heart rate and blood pressure can elevate when seeing the doctor. This can occur due to having vital signs checked also.

Trying relaxation techniques can help, such as taking deep breaths.

If the pulse is high but the blood pressure (systolic) is unaffected it is a little bit less likely to be due to this. The reason is that the pulse elevation is due to release of epinephrine by the body due to anxiety. The epinephrine causes increased heart rate as well as increased blood pressure.

If your heart rate is elevated without BP changes it may be due to some dehydration. Drinking plenty of water is important when donating plasma.

|