Question: SVT Years After Ablation for Same

Narda99 - Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:52 am

Eleven years ago I had a radiofrequency ablation for SVT. I have been fine all these years. A few days ago I had an episode of tachycardia in the middle of the night. Before we could get to the hospital emergency room, it slowed down. My question is: After all these years, have I developed a new pathway between the nodes to create this tachycardia again? I am very discouraged as I thought I was cured. I am not able to see my cardiologist until November. Please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:19 pm

User avatar Hi Narda99,

It is possible for SVT to recur after ablation. At 11 years out without problems it is still possible, though less likely, I would think.

Seeing the cardiologist is a good idea to work this up. It may be SVT or it may have been tachycardia for a different reason.

Narda99 - Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:16 pm

Thank you, Doctor, for replying to my question. Now I would like to know what other reason could cause tachycardia? I was having a lot of stomach problems about that time. When I took a gulp of really cold orange juice, it started up. Could this cause it?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:42 pm

User avatar There are many causes of tachycardia. It can occur with low blood pressures to compensate, or with anxiety.

Drinking cold beverages does not typically cause a faster heart rate. The cold beverage may have caused some stimulation of the vagal nerve that runs near the esophagus. This could cause some initial slowing of the heart rate with a secondary tachycardia to compensate. (This is a bit of a stretch but possible.)

Seeing your cardiologist will be helpful for you.

|