Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Taking the right dose of hypertension medication

whodunit - Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:04 am

I am a 56 year old female recently diagnosed as having mild hypertension. My family physician has been monitoring my blood pressure for about 5 months. Most of my readings have ranged from the low 130's and to a high of 156/96. Last month he requested a 24 hour BP monitoring and shared the results with me four days ago. My highest daytime reading was 148/92 and my lowest night time reading was 103/80. There is a history of hypertension, stroke, and heart attack on mother's side. I also have the following medical issues: chronic Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acid Reflux, Carpal Tunnel Pain and Hypothyroidism. My current medications are: WinRho, Synthroid, Pantaloc, Relafen, and Gabapentin. Methotrexate was prescribed for the RA, but I could had drug intolerance. Planquinel has been prescribed but I am having problems with it too. I am sensitive to medications; both my Rheumatologist and family physician have to make sure that new meds do not cause my platelet counts to drop.

My physician has prescribed Ramipril for my hypertension: 2.5mg for 7 days, 5mg for 21 days, and 10mg for 7 days. After that I'm to see him for a BP check. I was told that Ramipril has the least side effects of the ACE inhibitors.

I've taken the 2.5mg capsules once daily for 4 days and have been feeling dizzy and extremely tired.
I am concerned about the dosing schedule and wonder if I should be on the lowest dose for a longer period.

This evening I took 2 bp readings, 3 hours apart. The first one was 92/67(I felt very tired) and the second was 110/74 ( I felt a bit more energetic, but perhaps that was due to having a boost of sugar from a dessert.) With these bp readings, do you think it's unwise to move to 5mg in 4 days. I'm planning to call my physician's office on Monday but would sure appreciate your input.

Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:11 pm

User avatar I apologize for the delay in answering your question. By now I am confident you have seen your physician. He/she is the most appropriate person to advise you on this and it does sometimes take a while to get the right dosage adjustments. Hopefully by now you are feeling better. Be patient and stay in touch with your doctor about your side effects.

|