Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: Assault victim- Marfans- Possible Dissection Help!

Ag3ntman - Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:33 am

1)age:22
2)sex:M
3):Diagnoses: Marfans, lung collapse, eye problems
4): lung re-inflation, endoscopy
5): heart disease in grandparents
6) Prilosec

I was hit in the upper center/right portion of my chest very hard today. It causes severe pain and since it was in the center of my chest almost I thought I should go in to get it checked due to the marfans and aorta complications.

Anyway, they ran a CT scan and here are the results::

ct ches: pulsation artifacts. no obvious dissection or aortic injury.

what does that mean???? So there could be something but its just not OBVIOUS??? ...... I have never had anyone say I had pulsation artifacts before.... could that be a dissection????

he then goes to state my abdominal aorta looks good with no aortic dissection..

notice how he doesnt say NO AORTIC DISSECTION on the chest ct but just says "no obvious dissection" .... what should I do? they sent me home and it still is hurting bad......

Please help me .. should I get another CT or a second opinion???

Ag3nt
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:21 pm

User avatar Hi Ag3ntman,

CT scans take the best pictures when there is no movement. When the heart beats the aorta expands some. It is likely that on previous scans the same artifact was seen but the radiologist simply didn't comment that it was present.

Given this description there is a very, very small possibility that a dissection is present. However, it is most likely that all is OK.

If you're still having pain you should follow up with your doctor.

|