Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Factor V Leiden?

kate102518 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:55 pm

I am 21 years old. When I was 12 weeks pregnant (in 2004) I had a pulmonary embolism. As it turns out, I have Factor 5 Leiden. I was on Lovenox for the remainder of my pregnancy and through my next one. Should I be getting periodical PT/ PTT's drawn just to make sure everything is okay even when I am not pregnant? From what I understand, Factor 5 Leiden is not extremely uncommon, but at the same time I don't want to disregard it because I know how dangerous blod clots can be. Thank you so much in advance. Kate
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:52 pm

User avatar Ongoing testing is not routine outside of pregnancy if you have only had one episode of DVT or PE. Of course you should be alert to signs and symptoms of DVT because you are at increased risk and you should do anything you can to reduce your risk further (oral contraception, smoking, obesity, long periods of immobility, trauma, etc. could increase risk).

You should be monitored and treated with any future pregnancy. Of course if you have symptoms of deep vein thrombosis, see your doctor or emergency department immediately (swelling, pain, redness in leg, etc.).

Thank you for your question.

|