News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: strong abdominal pulse on left side

nelly145 - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:15 am

I am 21/female. I have an extremely strong pulse on the left side of my abdomen. It is super strong when lying down, if you put an object on it it would move quite a bit. I have not noticed a visible mass but my stomach on both sides always looks quite distended, even when I have been very thin. I have noticed this for years now, and 3 years ago my Dr. noticed it, but she did not order any tests and said it was just because I was thin enough(5'9, 130 lbs). Since then I've gained about 20 pounds, and I can still feel the pulse quite strongly. I am definately not fat, but from what I've read everywhere else it seems you have to be very thin for this to be a normal thing. Should I be worried that this is an abdominal aortic aneurysm?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:38 pm

User avatar Hi Nelly145,

Most likely you are still feeling normal abdominal pulsations. This can often still be felt in people that are "normal" size.

Having said that, aortic aneurysms are serious issues so I would recommend having your doctor evaluate this when you see her, just to make sure it is OK.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here