Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: increased heart rate

arkies - Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 am

46 yo white female. 5'6", 165 lbs. High cholesterol, depression/anxiety, kidney stones, HTN, RLS, hypothyroidism, insomnia, & MS.

Pain, spasticity & fatigue are primary sxs of MS. BUT I HAVE WORSENING SXS now. Started as bilateral burning pain in my feet and hands - now hypersensitivity to touch, stiffness, aching, constant pain. Deep, deep aching in legs and arms . Walking nearly impossible at times. I also have some occ. SOB - Pulse Ox was normal O2, increased HR - usu. ranging from 90-105. PCP wants PF tests to see why I have inc.HR. Chest x-ray is normal. BP is under control. EKG showed nothing sig. Cardiac family history positive for brother with multiple bypass surgeries & valve replacement, father with pacemaker, maternal grandfather had mild diabetes, paternal uncles with CAD. Pulmonary family history is noncontributory.

Meds -- Copaxone, Zanaflex, Lasix, Diovan, Cymbalta, K+Cl, multivitamin, Vytorin 10/20, Cytomel, AmbienCR, Marinol & hydrocodone PRN. Also CoQ10, B1 &12..

What further testing do I eed to try to find the culprit? Any other suggestions?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:48 pm

User avatar Hi Arkies,

It may be that your heart rate is a little elevated due to your pain. Pain causes release of hormones that also increase heart rate.

The PF testing may help to be sure that your lungs are OK since they can impact the heart as well.

Seeing a neurologist about your MS is important to be sure you are on the right treatment plan for you. If you continue to have the persistently elevated heart rate, seeing a cardiologist is reasonable.

Brittany628 - Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:26 am

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to post an actual question so I just replied to this one. I'm 19 years old and atheletic, I've been invovled in sports my whole life up until this year. My pulse was always in the 60s or 70s and recently it has been in the mid to high 90s. Is there a reason to worry and what could be causing this? Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:10 pm

User avatar Hi Brittany628 -

While there is nothing intrinsically wrong with a heart rate in the 90s, it does represent a change for you, and it may be worth looking at what could have caused the change, especially since you are athletic and so more likely to have a slower heart rate than normal at rest.

Simple things first: Any new or increased caffeine intake? Stress? Sleep disturbance? Anxiety? All other things being equal, these are the usual suspects. Also, are there any other symptoms associated with this increased (and presumably resting) rate? Any heartbeat irregularities or palpitations you're aware of? Do you otherwise feel perfectly fine and normal?

All other things being equal, and assuming no other problems exist, you might just casually mention this observation at your next regular doctor appointment. There is always the remote possibility it could signal the onset of a thyroid problem, but generally "normal" range of heart rate is between 60 and 100 beats per minute. It tends to be faster in many people who are petite, and slower in those who are athletic, but there is a lot of room for variety. At the same time, a marked change is worth at least a quick look.

Please let us know if any of the above questions could be answered "yes." Otherwise we'll just assume this is within nornal limits (WNL).

Best of luck (and health) to you.

|