Question: Chest pain, sky high bp, racing pulse

stmprmmy05 - Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:30 pm

Yesterday my husband and I walked a 10K marathon. We excercise regularly, but never anything this extensive. It was for cancer research. The walk lasted until 11:30 a.m. Afterwards my husband (27 y.o. healthy, but extremely bad vericose veins) kept complaining of chest pain. We ate at 4:30, afterwards he layed down to take a nap. When he awoke 3 hrs. later he complained of his chest pain again, so we took his blood pressure, which was, if I am correct 140/100. I know that whatever it was it was extremely high. We were up and ready to go to the ER, when his mother said that he was fine. While he was standing his aunt, who overlooks our hospitals ECO Cardiogram, took his BP again, said that is was still high, but that now his pulse was racing. She suggested that he go to the ER along with everyone else, but because his mother said that he was fine he didn't go. Almost everyone in his family has high blood pressure, hypertension, his grandma even has a pacemaker!! I am so upset! I am looking on the internet and the word that keeps popping up with these symptoms is Angina, and that while you are experiencing the chest pain is when the EKG should be performed. This happens to him everytime he over exerts himself. I am scared that they are early warning signs of an upcoming heart attack that will leave me single, with our 2 1/2 yr old daughter. Please help me!!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:30 pm

User avatar Hi Stmprmmy05,

Your husband should be seen for this. If he begins to have chest pain with exertion on a regular basis this is a definite red flag for possible heart problems.

Seeing a doctor sooner rather than later can help make a diagnosis early and allow treatment to prevent future problems.

This blood pressure is elevated and should be further examined.

|