Forum Name: Cardiology Treatment Modalities

Question: Excercise and EF Improvement?

elby1781 - Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:16 pm

I'm 22, Male and relatively healthy, but I do have mild aortic insufficiency and mild dialation of my left ventricle. I'm 6'1", 220, and quite fit. Given my EF of 72 is the mild dialtion of left ventricle a problem? Will it be in the future? Also, I'm training for a bike race at the moment and I am curious to know, does excercise increase EF and stroke volume? Does it increase VO2 Max? Thanks very much.

Trey
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:12 pm

User avatar Dear Trey,

Exercise increases stroke volume but not really that much. By the time the cardiac output reaches half its maximum, the stroke volume usually reaches its limits. Ejection fraction is also increased by exercise.

Your oxygen consumption can be increased if you exercise on regular basis for at least 20 minutes per day at a heart rate that is upto 85% of your maximum predicted heart rate for your age.

Before starting any exercise program and especially since you have a medical condition, you have to tell your doctor about this and make sure that he approves of it.

|