Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Patient information on an ECG

4WINNS - Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:22 am

I am a 56 yr male and I was to my clinic for Pre Op Physical, My GP was on vacaiton and I got a Floater Doctor.I was going for Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass. The Doctor would not approve my Bariatric surgery because of Abnormal ECG, which states Cannot rule out Anterior Infarct and I was not approved for surgery. I got copies of everything and I noticed when I got home that under patient information on the print out had me at age 46 not 56 and also it states that the "Interpretationis Age and gender Specific ECG analysis". I was wondering is a false ECG and should it be done over with the correct information. I called the clinic but the Doctor had left and they did know what clinic she would be next week. This is going to make me miss my Surgery date which took me fourteen months to get. My question is how important is the Patient Information (AGE) being making me ten years younger on the out come of the ECG?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:53 pm

User avatar Hi 4Winns,

Age can make a difference in interpreting an ECG. The "normal" size values of the waves can change. I'm less familiar with adult ECG's as I'm a pediatrician so I'm not sure how much a difference of 10 years will make in interpreting the results. I do not think it will make much of a difference, though.

Tables exist with standard, age related "normals" for ECG's. You may not need to have the ECG redone. Rather, you may just need to have the doctor know that the age is wrong and to reanalyze the ECG by hand rather than using the computer interpretations (which should always be verified by direct visualization anyway).

|