News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Patient information on an ECG

4WINNS - Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:22 am

I am a 56 yr male and I was to my clinic for Pre Op Physical, My GP was on vacaiton and I got a Floater Doctor.I was going for Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass. The Doctor would not approve my Bariatric surgery because of Abnormal ECG, which states Cannot rule out Anterior Infarct and I was not approved for surgery. I got copies of everything and I noticed when I got home that under patient information on the print out had me at age 46 not 56 and also it states that the "Interpretationis Age and gender Specific ECG analysis". I was wondering is a false ECG and should it be done over with the correct information. I called the clinic but the Doctor had left and they did know what clinic she would be next week. This is going to make me miss my Surgery date which took me fourteen months to get. My question is how important is the Patient Information (AGE) being making me ten years younger on the out come of the ECG?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:53 pm

User avatar Hi 4Winns,

Age can make a difference in interpreting an ECG. The "normal" size values of the waves can change. I'm less familiar with adult ECG's as I'm a pediatrician so I'm not sure how much a difference of 10 years will make in interpreting the results. I do not think it will make much of a difference, though.

Tables exist with standard, age related "normals" for ECG's. You may not need to have the ECG redone. Rather, you may just need to have the doctor know that the age is wrong and to reanalyze the ECG by hand rather than using the computer interpretations (which should always be verified by direct visualization anyway).

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here