News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Sharp chest pain

stu68 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Hello, I'm a 39 yr old male 6ft slightly over weight and resonably fit. I have medication for high blood pressure probably due to a sleep disorder which is regulated with CPAP.

I was woke up during the night approx a week ago with a very sharp pain in the centre of the chest. I gave myselp the quick once over, no shortness of breath, no pains anywhere else, normal pulse (not racing). After about 30 seconds I forced mtself to burp a couple of times and the pain went away. I fell back to sleep with no residual pains in the morning. This has happened approximatly 3 times in the last 5 years or so again each time when I force myself to burp it goes away.

I would not have botherd mentioning anything about this as I put it down to wind, the only this is my father-in-law had the same sort of problemsand ended up having a heart attack years later

I honestly don't think this is anything to worry about just a little concerned.

Thank you in advace for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:34 pm

User avatar Hi,

The fact that your father in law had both conditions does not mean they are connected. We won't be able to give you an assessment of your condition here. What I can tell you is yes one possibilty is that your pain is caused by flatulence. Do you also complain of constipation?

Do you have a family history of heart attacks at a young age (55 years)? How well is your hypertension controlled? Do you feel palpitations?

If this is a recurring problem I would recommend that you have it evaluated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here