Question: Sharp chest pain

stu68 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Hello, I'm a 39 yr old male 6ft slightly over weight and resonably fit. I have medication for high blood pressure probably due to a sleep disorder which is regulated with CPAP.

I was woke up during the night approx a week ago with a very sharp pain in the centre of the chest. I gave myselp the quick once over, no shortness of breath, no pains anywhere else, normal pulse (not racing). After about 30 seconds I forced mtself to burp a couple of times and the pain went away. I fell back to sleep with no residual pains in the morning. This has happened approximatly 3 times in the last 5 years or so again each time when I force myself to burp it goes away.

I would not have botherd mentioning anything about this as I put it down to wind, the only this is my father-in-law had the same sort of problemsand ended up having a heart attack years later

I honestly don't think this is anything to worry about just a little concerned.

Thank you in advace for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:34 pm

The fact that your father in law had both conditions does not mean they are connected. We won't be able to give you an assessment of your condition here. What I can tell you is yes one possibilty is that your pain is caused by flatulence. Do you also complain of constipation?

Do you have a family history of heart attacks at a young age (55 years)? How well is your hypertension controlled? Do you feel palpitations?

If this is a recurring problem I would recommend that you have it evaluated.

|