Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Meanings behind heart monitor readings?

SeraphisCain - Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:19 am

A few times within the last couple months, I've been in the ER for various reasons (always attributed to anxiety), and hooked up to a heart monitor. Frequently, the heart monitor alarm would go off, and read "ST II HI 2.1" or once, "ST AVF HI". However, the nurses and doctor didn't seem to think this was important. Could anyone tell me what these readings meant? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:14 pm

User avatar Hi SeraphisCain,

If I am correct, the monitor you are describing is the bedside monitor. These monitors are referred to as rhythm monitors because they are very good at assessing rhythms but not very good at assessing other subtle things such as ST changes. A formal 12-lead ECG is need for this.

ST is a segment of the heart rhythm that often becomes elevated during episodes where the heart is not getting enough blood flow to one of its areas (termed ischemia). I suspect that the monitor was trying to say that the ST segment was elevated and alert the medical team about this. The team was likely not concerned because the monitor can't really tell this even though it thinks it can. If you were not having symptoms of a heart attack the machine is almost certainly wrong.

If your doctors wanted to truly assess this a formal 12-lead is needed.

|