News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Blackouts

ranjitechno - Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:12 pm

I am a 21 yr old male. I have experienced blackouts thrice in the past 3 yrs. All of them took place after a good meal. I vividly remember the last two times, when I ate after more than 16 hrs in empty stomach. I didnt experience complete unconsciousness but felt my senses dimming, accompanied by a rushing in my ears, ending in a total shut down of external sound. I regained complete consciousness within 5 to 10 mins time. Is this a serious problem? Someone told me that this was related to the heart, which is why I am writing in this forum. Kindly advise me on this issue and provide me with information as to what exactly this problem is. Is there a cure for this problem?

Regards,
ranjitechno[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:52 pm

User avatar Hi Ranjitechno,

There are several possible causes for fainting (syncope). It can be related to the heart, blood vessels, nerves or brain. Basically, anything that decreases blood flow to the brain can induce syncope.

The relationship to eating is a little difficult to put together. I would recommend you see your doctor to have a general evaluation. Doing an EKG to look for any possible rhythm problems such as long QT syndrome is a good idea.

I suspect this is likely not a serious issue but it's best to be evaluated to make sure.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here