Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Sternum tightness post CABG-By pass surgery

Raveendra Hebbar - Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:33 am

I am aged 46 when I was diagnosed having cardiac problems. I had no prior symptoms except that I was getting some pain when I walk up hill for 5-6 minutes. I had hypertension 150-100 Hg rates for about 7-8 years

As per the Doctors advise after getting an attack, I was hospitalised, had an angio done and since I had triple vessel blocks I had to undergo CABG- BYPASS Surgery an year back. I had developed some post operative problems due to water retention in lungs post surgery but was cured in time. I incidentally became diabetic too during that time of hospitalisation.

Thanks to good treatment I got , I could somehow recover well. Now my sugar levels both under fasting and post prandial are between 90-110[normal].I had high tryglisaride levels and high Cholesterol at the time of hospitalisation but now the lipid profile tests have indicated that the cholesterol levels are normal and under control [HDL 56, LDL 90. CHOLESTROL 150]. I have lost 12 KG weight, which I have picked up 7 KG wt post operation.

My major problem is the feeling of inconvenience and the tightness in the chest cranium area even after 15 months of operation. Till how much time this will be remaining/

I am taking daily an ACE Inhibitor [lasotec 50], A dieuretic[ fruselac 20], a beta blocker[ carvedilol 6.25]], a statin[ arpitor], DAILY TWO TABS OF OMEGA 3 FISH OIL TABS+loprin DS -an aspirin.

Though there appears some improvement in the tightness, it appears to me that this should have been much better in others and I have some fear . I had MR+, Cardiomegaly and the EF has slightly improved from 42 to 47 % post operation after 12 months. It went down to 35% after 3 months of operation. My sexual arousal power also has come down post operation as I could not hold erection for long time and I have a fear of collapse during sex also. I don't know the ideal sex positions for Cardiac patients. You may kindly advice me on this also .

Can you tell the status and my prospects of full recovery to normalcy.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:51 am

User avatar Dear Raveendra,

Complete recuperation and rehabilitation after cabg is different from patient to patient.

It sometimes takes up to 1.5 to 3 years for this chest tightness to go away.

Some people continue to have this discomfort for indefinite times.

The most important thing is for you to be sure that this discomfort that you are experiencing is not ischemic in nature as ischemia was dealt with since you had the bypass.

Regarding your sexual problem, i don't think that you should be having any problems unless this problem is caused by one of the new medications that you started taking. i don't think that there are any special positions for heart patients.

If this problem continues, i don't think that there will be any problem for you taking viagra or the like medications as you don't have active ischemia anymore, so i recommend that you talk to your doctor about it.

|