Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: 12,000 PVCS Oh my Gosh i am sick of these

capricekid - Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:58 pm

I am a 44 year old female with controlled high blood pressure.I have posted on here bofore i have had yet another Holter Monitor that showed just under 12,000 PVCs in a 24 hour period. The EKG showed only PVCS and my Echo was fine except the PVCS. Stress test was normal. I was taken off the 25 mgs of Atenrol once a day and was put on 10mgs of Inderal 3 times a day. It seems to help only a little bit but if i take a half of xanex the PVCS cut down for a few hours But then they are back. The inderal does not seem to controll my blood pressure quite as well as the atenrol. I am afraid to take xanex everyday cause they are addictive. My doctor says that although the PVCS are bothersome they are benign. They may be benign but i am so tired and worn out from them. It is effecting my daily life. I can not feel well with these things going on all day and all night, By 7pm i am so tired and worn that i need to rest. Would Catheter Ablation be an option for me? I asked my cardiologist and he said that if the meds did not work that he would refer me to a specialist. I am so confused about what to do. What is the risk and success for the ablation? Can i stay awake? I am scared of being knocked out. How long does the procedure take? I did hear that sectral is sometimes effective in treating PVCs more then the other beta blockers. Is the fact that xanex helps mean that the ablation would not be helpful. I am just real tired of the PVCS taking over my life. 6 weeks now and i am tired. Forgot to mention that THere were 12 couplets 0 triplets and 5 bigeminy runs. There were 14 Superventricular Events 2 of them being couplets. my heart beat had 2 Bradcardia runs at 57beats per minute and 60 beats per minute . My average was 85 on the holtor monitor So that being said i would welcome your advise. Please ley me know if you think that giving Sectral may be worth a shot.THANKS A MILLION
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 pm

User avatar Hi Capricekid,

12,000 PVC's is definitely quite a few. My best advise for you would be to see a cardiologist that specializes in electrophysiology. These are the cardiologists that do ablations for this should this be needed.

If the PVC's are all being started from the same area then an ablation may be an option. I am not particularly familiar with all the risks/options of ablation. It is performed by catheterization of the heart through a blood vessel in the groin area. Regarding sedation, at the very least you'd be made quite sleepy. Full anesthesia may be needed. The cardiologist would be able to address the different options with you with much more accuracy than I can.

|