Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Bi Ventricular Pacemaker / ICD

canaveral - Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 pm

I am 56 years old.

Male

I have dilated cardiomyopthy.

I am being evaluated for a heart transplant next week.

In preparation for this evaluation I currently am on Zocor, Lanoxin, Coreg, Amioderine, Asprin.

They have taken me off Lasix, Avapro, Niaspan and cut my Coreg to 6.25 MG twice a day.

My question is if at any point (Low EF, ect), does the Biventricular Pacemaker / ICD that I have cease to perform any real function?

Also, what is the opion of the medical communites opion of truning thes off, if requested bu a patient.

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:06 pm

User avatar Hi Canaveral,

I would recommend against turning off the pacemaker/ICD. There are a few reasons. Even though your heart isn't squeezing as well as it should, if the rhythm becomes abnormal (which is more prone to happen in cardiomyopathy) the ICD part may be able to shock it back into a normal rhythm.

Also, since the heart isn't pumping well, it is important that the heart rate not drop too low. This is where the pacemaker part kicks in. It can help prevent the pulse from dropping below a set point.

Even though your heart is having trouble it is still doing some work so the key is keeping it going until the transplant. The pacemaker/ICD may be able to help this happen.

|