Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Mini stroke/TIA

CCNN - Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:39 am

I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this question or if I should be in the neurology forum so if it's not please point me in the right direction. I am 26 years old and back in April of this year I was 33 weeks pregnant and had what my neurologist believes was a mini stroke/TIA. I had a sudden onset of a migraine, loss of peripheral vision in my right eye, numb/tingling in my right arm and hand, I had memory loss and a very hard time speaking. I looked at my kids and knew who they were but I couldn't think of their names and couldn't say anything to them either. I contacted my primary physician and he referred me to a neurologist who I saw a week later. He did an MRI and ran blood work for stroke on a young person. My MRI came back fine, he said that it had been too long since my symptoms to see any clots. But my blood test showed some issues. I had a low protein S and a high d-dimer. My protein S Free was 34 and my d-dimer was 0.7

So my neurologist said that with those two test results he is sure that I had a blood clot in my brain. I went back and had my protein S checked again after I gave birth and it was 70 which he said was normal so I was fine.

So here are my questions, I asked them to my neurologist and my primary doctor but didn't get much answers. Can you tell how bad my clot was from my test results? What are my chances of having another mini stroke/TIA or an actual stroke? What do I need to be more careful of the rest of my life/what precautions do I need to take? My Dr. told me that it was pregnancy related is that really the case? Should I avoid having any more children? Should I see a Hematologist? Is there any type of medication that I should be on?

Thank you for your time in answering my questions.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:58 pm

This must have been very frightening for you.

I know of no medications for post-TIA unless the doctor feels you need some type of blood thinner.

You are at a greater risk for another at some time or even for a stroke. The good side of this is that you can make life decisions that would decrease your risk such as losing any excess weight, eating right and avoiding smoking, If you ever experience such symptoms in the future, do not hesitate to go the the emergency department.

I do not believe it is cause to avoid having children unless your neurologist comes up with something more severe than this as a diagnosis. Most people who have a TIA never experience another one. But, at the same time you don't want to set yourself up for a stroke by eating poorly, etc.

Good luck

|