Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Thiazide Diuertics - blood sugar neutral alternatives?

WilliamR - Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:06 pm

I have beeen taking an ARB + HTCZ (Benicar 40/12.5) which has very effectively controlled my BP. Adding the HTCZ had a huge impact on my BP, dropping my systolic by 30 points and my diastolic by 20 points, so I was initially very pleased with this combination therapy.

I am also pre-diabetic (fasting glucose = 100). As I now understand that these HTCZ diuretics (Thiazide Diuretics) can sometimes contribute to increased insulin levels and increased insulin resistance, I have been working with my Doctor to try to come off the HCTZ, by substituting Tekturna for the Thiazide.

It appears that the Benicar + Tekturna is not going to be enough to keep my systolic below 140.

Are there any different types of diuretics my Doctor might consider for me that can help with my blood pressure that do not also affect glucose / insulin?

If I have to use a thiazide to maintain proper blood pressure control, I assume less is better and by minimizing the dose, I may be able to avoid negative metabolic effects?

What other combination therapies might we consider that are blood sugar neutral?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:27 am

User avatar I am not able to tell you about the medication options. Perhaps someone else will be able to answer that part. If I were you I would be watching the diet and exercise as this is know to affect insulin and is something you can modify. Choose foods with a low glycemic index. You can google information here and get lists of foods with their corresponding GI.

There is some debate about whether there is really such thing as pre-diabetes. Either you have it or you don't is the thinking there. But, it is known that regular exercise, maintaining a normal weight and a diet low in sugar can actually prevent the development of Diabetes II in many cases.

|