News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Sinus Tachycardia & hypertension (? diastolic hypertens

yaya246 - Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi, I'm a 32 yrs old female with 2 kids. I'm generally healthy before this events. On 16 Nov early morning (around 4am) I woke up with SOB and palpitation, I asked my husband to open the door and windows to get more air in. I feel like there is a lack of oxygen in the room. I took my BP: 128/18mmhg, PR 78bpm. However, I just did not feel right, and could not go back to sleep again. I got up at around 5am, and for the whole day I felt palpitation. I checked my BP again in the afternoon when it became worse. Sitting:131/99mmhg, HR 120bpm; Standing: 139/108mmhg HR 133bpm, and lying BP:128/96mmhg, HR 96bpm; And seen my GP, I had a ECG done, it only shown sinus tachycardia (HR 118bpm). I was then advised to go home and rest. The next day, my BP in the morning at around 6.45am was 128/87mmhg, and HR 87bpm, lying down. I revisited my Dr as instructed, and the BP was 128/96mmhg, HR 107bpm, sitting. My Dr told me that it is called diastolic hypertension. My Dr told me to observe if it's persistent, then he will consider a 24hrs BP monitoring on me.

I would like to know if this condition is reversible (should I rest more or should I take some gentle exercises) and the causes to this condition?

I am not on any medication at the moment.

Thank you for your advice.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:16 pm

User avatar Hi Yaya246,

Your diastolic blood pressure does appear to be elevated. The question then becomes, is it this way all the time or just intermittently. If your blood pressure is elevated persistently then you'll want to consider treating it.

Initial treatment options can include reducing salt intake and undergoing a healthy exercise plan. If this is not sufficient, there are several medications that can help.

This may also simply resolve on its own over time but I would recommend at least trying to limit salt intake. Limiting caffeine intake can also help.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here