Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Pain in the left chest area. Please help.

Zephyris - Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:07 am

I'm a 21 soon turning 22, male. Only surgery I've ever had is head surgery for a huge accident which I was lucky to survive.

Current Medication: NONE.
However, I'm know for having high blood pressure from birth. My father had it, we're always hot and we can't stand summer. I have also hyperactivity and dyslexia which supposely goes hand in hand.

(NOTE: I had somekind of infection for the past 3 weeks, I think it's starting to go away. I work with the public in a supermarket so who knows what I could have gotten. My ganglion is swollen and I've developped a bump under my right ear)

If I'm wording correctly ganglion are the ballish things in my neck/throat area. I'm sorry my english isn't perfect. But I would soo appreciate any help. Although ganglion is ganglion in my french to english dic. Anyway I doubt it's related.

The pain I'm feeling is let's say the middle point in ur chest area then go left abit and it's right there... I 've been having a feeling of tightness that can almost stop me from breathing if only the pain was stronger. The pain is mild doesn't really hurt much, it's more of an annoyance. What do you think it is? I work physicly my parents seem to think its nothing and might be muscular... Which could be. What do you guys think?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:19 pm

User avatar Hello Zephyris,

There are a few possibilities for your pain. Given your age and the description you have provided this pain is quite unlikely to be from your heart. It may be a muscular strain of one of the intercostal muscles (the muscles between the ribs).

Another possibility is a condition called pleurisy. This is inflammation of the lining of the lungs/chest wall. This pain often can be triggered by an infection, possibly likely the cold you've had. It typically is worse with deep breathing.

A third possibility would be a condition called costochondritis. This is inflammation of the joint where the rib bone becomes cartilage. This pain is typically located just a lit ways from the breast bone and it can be reproduced by pushing on the area that hurts.

Both pleurisy and costochondritis are quite common. Both are treated with anti-inflammatory medicines.

If the pain persists or worsens I would suggest you see your doctor for an evaluation.

|