News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Cholesterol Level - Too Low?

mrjbb - Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:37 am

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate spot for this but I'm unsure of exactly where this question fits.
I am a 32 year caucasian female, apparently in good. health. I am concerned about my low cholesterol levels and wonder if this is a problem or what could be causing it. I have read that cholesterol too low is not a good thing. I have listed the results of my blood work from the last 2 years. I would love your thoughts on this.

WBC - 8700 (N-5133, L-2784, M-609, E-174, B-0)
RBC - 4. 53
HB - 14. 9
HCT - 42. 5
MCV - 93. 7
MCH - 32. 9
MCHC - 351
RDW - 13. 8
PLT - 233
B-12 - 240

[b]TOTAL Cholesterol - 122 (H-42 L - 66 T-70)[/b]
[b]Trig - 70
HDL - 42
LDL - 66[/b]

June 2007:
WBC - 8100 (N-4293, L-3078, M-486, E-243, B-0)
RBC - 4. 65
HB - 14. 7
HCT - 42. 4
MCV - 91. 3
MCH - 31. 7
MCHC - 347
RDW - 13. 5
PLT - 272
B-12 - 700 (Took supplements under tongue)
VIT. D - LOW (Not sure of numbers)

He would not retest cholesterol this year because he said it is fine and there is no need. Do you agree? Do you see a lot of people with low cholesterol levels?
Should I retest to see if things have stayed the same?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:50 pm

User avatar I will not try to interpret lab values, which are just part of the whole physical exam picture, but low cholesterol is not considered to be a problem except in some cases of cancer. This is just one part of the whole picture and your doctor has the information needed to know if the levels might be of concern in an individual case. If he says it's OK, I would believe him.

Best wishes.
 mrjbb - Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:02 pm

So can low cholesterol be a marker that something more serious is wrong - for example cancer?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here